Sunday, September 14, 2008

104 Miles and 3 Flat Tires???


Picture here are the guys that got me to ride this 100 mile, ride of horrors. The two in the back ground were the really conspirators. The guy in front helped me with my blow outs. Read on:

It was a long day and what made it painfully long were the three blow outs I had. No one else in the group lost a tire, but I ran over a nail, and then blew out the replacement tube about 40 miles into the ride. Finally at about the 75 mile mark, I again blew the second replacement...luckily a fellow rider had another tube. The biggest problem was with the Tire. It was split, so we had to rig it with a patch and plastic to make it work for the finally 29 miles. But it turned a 6 hour and 40 minute ride into a 8 hour ordeal.
Still, I am glad I finished. I was ready to throw in the towel at the 75 mile when the tire was shot. That plus my upper legs were killing me really made me want to just quite.
But I didn't I got up and finished the thing. And so my first century ride is done. Yea...my first, there will be others in the years to come...why...because I know I can ride it faster and not blow a tire. That is what really drives me. How can I improve on this? I'll figure it out and then press back and do it all again.

1 comment:

Peter said...

Wow! I didn't know you're going to do this... Too bad about the blow outs but I'm glad you didn't give up. Congrats on your first 100 miler!!!